Monday, September 28, 2020

Review: Poems for a Lost Lover

Poems for a Lost Lover Poems for a Lost Lover by Erica Stephens
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Poems for a Lost Lover is a dive into the middle of a relationship, on the cusp of deciding whether a baby should be had before its too late. There are a lot of great images and simple language that makes it accessible to all, even those who typically avoid poetry. The poems are short, and the entire collection can be read in less than an hour.

The biggest issue I had with reading this is the format of the digital copy. While I don't like to nitpick on formatting issues, poetry relies on the negative space as much as the words to convey specific messages. Using page breaks between each poem would have made it much easier to read. I felt like I raced through reading this because all of the poems were smashed together with little spacing between.

*Book provided by NetGalley

View all my reviews

No comments: