Monday, September 28, 2009

Frustrations are endless

After what happened this weekend, I feel like I'm just going through the motions. I was so frustrated with all of my work the last few days that I was about ready to toss it in and get a minimum wage job at Wal-Mart. I've been suffering from a lack of confidence in my writing skills. I've been laughed out of the room. I was even questioned on my qualifications after turning in a few articles. These were not just ordinary articles; I spent a long time working on these because I wanted to be able to have quality work attached to my name. And it was all for nothing.

Because of these frustrations, its hard to work. I spend way too long on articles that do not deserve that type of attention -- they just don't pay that well. I spend most of my day working now, which leaves no time for the work I really want to do. That work has suffered enough anyway, I guess. I've been turned away from plenty of publications so far. What's another dozen going to change?

I have read on more than a few writing blogs that complaining about writing or showing your career in a bad light on your blog will turn customers away. I don't think that's true. I think it shows that the writer is a person and not just an office appliance (which is how I've been feeling lately). It shows that I want to work with customers who recognize my talents and do not think that I'm "just a writer" and I can be treated with less respect than others.

I'm a writer and I deserve respect.

No comments: