Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Biggest Winner

Written by my friend Teodoro Martin

I am addicted to working out. I have always been a fit person, and I have always been involved in sports. What I failed to realize in my younger, pre-child years was the stress-relief that comes from walking into a gym. I don’t always love to go to the gym. Sadly, the only time I can give to myself is once the girls are fast asleep. So, while most others are wrapping up their evenings and settling in for the night, I am throwing my running shoes on and hitting the gym. It isn’t easy to find the motivation or energy to work out after 9 pm, but once I make it to the gym, I find the motivation I didn’t realize was lying under the surface. Night after night, I am surrounded by nameless faces just like me. With headphones on and weights in hand, we have formed a bond this little gym-group and I. I don’t know most of their names, but I know their faces, and they know mine. They are my accountability, my motivation to get in that gym night after night even when I just feel like crawling in bed. On Tuesday nights, my other motivation is watching “The Biggest Loser” on directv Sierra vista. I love to see the transformation with these contestants as they are challenged to push their bodies and minds past the boundaries they ever believed possible. We all need a little motivation whether it comes from music, TV, or fellow gym-rats.

No comments: