Monday, November 14, 2011

Ready for Hire

I'm going to try to make this sound as optimistic as possible. Let's see how it goes...

Remember all those worries I had about my current job? They all came true. There's no more job to speak of. As of last Thursday, I no longer have a regular income. This job was on it's way out--I have known that for a couple of months and I tightened the belt long ago, but it may not be enough.

There are some complicating issues to this situation, some of which I discussed before. I slipped into complacency and had one job--this is not good for a freelance writer. I also technically own my own business, so the thought of any unemployment benefits is nonexistent. I've been wanting to branch out into other related fields and get a job outside of my home office, but I'm lacking some qualifications you can only get with work experience--the experience that most businesses cannot afford to hand out these days. If I could just find a job that hires creative people without having to prove you're a genius first, I would be set. 

What's a girl to do? I really don't know at this point. I thought that this would be a great opportunity to just pick up and relocate like I always dreamed. But even if I land someplace better, where am I going to live? Is there a chance I won't get hired anywhere? I'm willing to take anything I'm qualified to do... just not here. I've considered the advice I've been hearing over the weekend. That advice is to just take any job for now and save to leave. I recognize a trap when I see one. It's a broken record in my life. I save and save for a year then at the last minute I let someone talk me out of my big adventure. I never end up more than a mile from where I started. The only problem is that  if I don't get out this time, there's little chance I ever will.

1 comment:

Terri said...

Thanks for the tip! I'll take a look.