Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Poetry Influences: Robert Frost/Carl Sandburg

As I mentioned in a previous post, Carl Sandburg's “Fog” and Robert Frost's “Stopping by the Woods on a Snowing Evening” are poems that are a part of me because of forced memorization. However, these poems did teach me some other lessons. First, Sandburg's poem taught me all I needed to know about imagery. You need to set the mood and give the reader something that is unexpected and familiar at the same time. With Frost, I learned (and am still continually frustrated with) making rhythm and rhyme work well enough to not get labeled hokey or simplistic. So, even though I found that particular class less than stimulating, I still ended up as a writer.

Did you have to memorize poems in class? What's your favorite Frost or Sandburg poems? Let me know!

Poem of the Day: The Long Dark Road

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Howdy are using Wordpress for your blog platform? I'm new to the blog world but I'm
trying to get started and create my own. Do you need any coding knowledge to make your own blog?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Have a look at my site: click through the following website page