Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Getting to Know You, Twitter Audience Edition

To figure out what any audience wants, you have to get to know that audience. Thankfully, Twitter analytics collects a lot of data. For the longest time I didn't pay attention to anything other than the first page, which contains information on how many views, follows, and clicks I get across the platform. However, I did start looking at the audiences tab to see just who my audience is.

When I posted this last week, I may have been making light of my analytics, but the information is all true.


I've gotten some good insight on who might possibly be paying attention to my tweets. Here's the breakdown:

  • 60% of my audience is women (no surprise there)
  • 67% reside in the USA (mostly in California)
  • Their buying habits consist of fresh, healthy products and premium brands
  • They like cheese and yogurt (who doesn't?)
  • They are AT&T customers using desktops, laptops, and iOS devices
  • They read about science news
  • They like TV drama (sports came in a close second--really?)
  • Most make 75k-99k with home values ranging 100k-199k (lucky ducks!)

These audience insights are interesting, but I'm not sure how much they are helpful when it comes to crafting my marketing or getting more to sign up for my Patreon page (which is why I looked into this in the first place). Clearly this audience can afford a few bucks for a Patreon subscription, so the key question is what can I do, using this information, to convince them it would be worth it?

There's no single clue that points to any pivot I can make. I scrolled through all this information and there was really nothing that popped out. The things I like and talk about (books, writing, music, photography) didn't even register on the list of interests. This is mostly likely because it's not clear how this information is obtained. If it's all from those quick Twitter surveys that pop up, I might be getting a tiny fragment of information from my entire audience.

The other issue I have with these analytics is that all the people I'm actively engaged in conversations with on Twitter don't fall into most of these categories, except the bigger ones like gender and location. It's as fascinating as it is frustrating.

No comments: