Friday, June 14, 2019

An Almost Yes

I've been trying to get in the mindset that I need to say yes more when opportunities to come up. I have already labeled summer 2019 as the Summer of Yes, but it's kind of hard to say yes to something when the universe steps in. Let me explain.



I thought I had been given a new job opportunity--one of those real jobs that is securely in my wheelhouse of skills and would allow me to relocate. In this instance, I initially thought it was Chicago. But just like I always do, I hesitated to immediately reach out to this opportunity. As I was thinking it over, I realized I was being stupid. I was supposed to be saying yes. No matter how the process would go, there was always a chance to say "no, nevermind" at every step.

So that next morning, I went to respond to the original message. That's when I noticed that this person in the previous 12 hours had changed their location from Chicago to central Indiana. Red flag #1.

I proceeded to research the company, which was based in California (so this change in venue from the first contact should have been unnecessary). Red flag #2.

Then I checked the company website. Massive errors, the voice of the text seemed to be poor translations into English. I'm guessing it was a completely foreign company masking itself as being located in the U.S. for business purposes. That was the last red flag I needed to make my decision.

I'm not angry that this didn't work out. It only highlights that the universe does occasionally look out for me. If I hadn't hesitated, I probably would have wasted my time reaching out to what appears to be a scam. Thanks, universe--but you know, you could present the right opportunity, too. That would be much easier for both of us! It doesn't matter anyway--I have piles of story ideas to write and stacks of books to read. I'm set until the next time I get a chance to say yes.

No comments: