Monday, May 04, 2020

Review: This is How I Lied

This is How I Lied This is How I Lied by Heather Gudenkauf
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is How I Lied is a mystery that you won't forget. Maggie is a cop who is tasked with finding her best friend's killer, twenty years after the event happened in the small town of Grotto. Even after all this time, everyone is a suspect--Eve's abusive boyfriend, Eve's oddball sister Nola, and Maggie's own husband who hadn't told her that he had seen Eve just hours before she died. Beyond that, Maggie is also very pregnant and ready to give birth to a child that her husband and she have longed for.

I started out liking this book, but what should have been a major twist is revealed pretty early, stripping the book of a major part of the mystery. And since this twist is intertwined with the main character, most readers will figure out that the truth they are given halfway through will end up not being the whole truth to the final story. Given this, the ending is quickly cleaned up with a predictable, but still plausible, story as to what really happened to Eve.

*book provided by NetGalley

View all my reviews

No comments: