Friday, August 02, 2019

August Has Arrived

It's August and it's scary close to being the end of the year already. How did that happen?!



As you may have already heard on one of many other platforms, I did get an acceptance for one of my pieces this week. However, when it came to checking the final manuscript for issues, I noticed that the publication left off the last line of my poem. I contacted them to correct the error. I haven't heard back. I have a hunch that it'll be fixed in time, but if it isn't... oh boy. That last line is the difference between the poem being a bit of happy-go-lucky imagery and it being a bit of social commentary, which was the original intention.

I'm also back to work nearly full time (as full time as a writer can spend on creative projects) on Pieces. You'll be seeing weekly exclusives on Patreon again as well as new posts to the project on Wattpad.

Medium has a few pieces that you can peruse, all poetry and short fiction for now, but I'm trying to talk myself into getting some creative nonfiction ready. I've published essays before, but they seem great in the moment, then I read them the next day and they are either flat and boring or skip around too many ideas that don't make it as cohesive as it could have been.

I have a choice between some essays already drafted about my personal experiences in the public education system or I could pivot and start a fresh essay on why I haven't and probably never will read the Harry Potter series. The education ones would have to be scrubbed of as many identifiers of other people as I can manage, but I lived in small communities my whole life and that just may not be entirely possible. And let's call the Harry Potter idea what it is--a bit of click bait, even if it's a solid piece of writing.

That's what is on my agenda for August. What will you be writing or reading this month?

1 comment:

K R Smith said...

I need (want?) to:
1. Get my monthly Patreon haiku for August done
2. Do a couple of blog posts about Shore Leave
3. Finish one of my short stories
4. Plan my next piece of artwork
Not sure how much will get done with my day job taking up so much time, but I'll keep at it!