Friday, October 19, 2007

I feel so bad for Grissom (my fish, not the CSI character). Last night, I was trying to clean his bowl and before I even touched him, while he was freaking out that something was invading his space, he lost a fin. Not a whole fin, but part of a fin. I thought he would die. He didn't, but he looks really sad now with a stump where his fin used to be, between his top fin and tail fin. I think the part that he lost was actually part of his tail fin, because the other betta in the house just has a tail fin that goes all the way up to cover the same space. But, losing a fin makes Grissom no less of a fish, right?

Speaking of CSI though, really? Marriage? An automatic "yes"? Who woulda thunk it.

I submitted stuff to the Broken Plate this morning. I'm not sure if any of it is good, but it doesn't hurt to add another rejection letter to the pile. And besides, everything I gave to them was written at leat a year ago or more, so I have very little emotional attachment to it anymore. Good thing.

I've been reading my assignments for next week (rediculously early, as usual) and there was a phrase in one of Gertrude Stein's works that struck me: impassioned naming. The name means more to you than what you've named. I do that ALL the time. I can't help myself. It's true though. Once you say the name too many times, with the feelings that it evokes, it ends up being the name evoking the feeling instead of the actually person/object. I could give really embarrassing examples of this, but I will resist. I found out there are a few people around who peruse my blog.

What a sad excuse of a Fall Break.

No comments: