Sunday, February 01, 2009

A little history lesson

Have you ever heard about the Holdomor? Until I ran across the webpage holodomorTruth, I had no idea what it was about. This famine took place in the Soviet Union in the early 1930s. I’m kind of a history buff, but usually during this time period I am studying the depression of the United States. Even when I tried to steer clear of this, I was still learning about the Depression through classic films (fun class, not so fun professor).

The website goes on to explain whether the event in the Soviet Union could fall under the label of genocide, with famine being the weapon. Because this is the first time that I have heard about this event, I am not sure what to think, but it is an interesting perspective on an historical moment. If you want to learn more, go ahead and check out the site. You can also Google it to get other opinions on the facts.

This is just a little brain food to wake you up on this cold (at least where I live) February morning. But if you’re like me, you will first need your coffee. So that’s what I’m going to do right now. Go and learn some more.

No comments: