Saturday, March 21, 2009

It's out

I dug out the novel: 277 Miles. It's under 100 pages and very rough, but I think that the structure of the story is strong. I'll probably be editing and revising it for the rest of the day. It's just warm enough here to open the windows, so I'll do all of my work in the dining room, where I get plenty of light. It also helps to be near the kitchen for various amounts of caffeinated drinks!

I also found a new job -- sort of. I'm back to taking articles for $1-$3, but I can easily get as a many as I want to write each day. That's what I love -- less rigidity in deadlines and schedules. But obviously its more work to make up for the amount of money I make through my other job. I still have that job, but all the luster has worn and I'm not sure how much longer I can stay there. I'm still working through edits, but I should be able to write new work again soon. And if the same old issues come up, there's no point in staying. After reading my novel-in-progress, I have a renewed sense of confidence in myself. The main character is eerily similar to me, only with more vivaciousness and bite. If she can do it, why can't I?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The characters we develop through our writing, if developed thoroughly and well, often appear to have minds of their own and take us places we never dreamed we'd go. That said, the writer, being the omniscient power, has a lot of each character inside them, making me think you can go as far, in not farther, than those whom you write about.


peace,
mike
livelife365