Friday, September 23, 2011

An Array of Different Hats... Metaphorically Speaking

Buying a new hat yesterday turned my imagination upside down and got me waxing poetic about the different hats that people wear throughout their lives. Of course I had to turn a simple wool hat into a gigantic metaphor for my life. That's what I do for a living. But it's the same as saying that people have different faces or any of the other cliches you would like to insert here.

It's the new job search that's making me think about all of the little nuances that make up each individual person. In the past 24 hours I have been looking through dozens of job postings. Right now it's mostly to get a feel for what these companies are looking for. Most of these jobs list qualifications that I have, except maybe one or two. But those one or two are typically the most important or non-negotiable. Now I have to work at getting those qualifications. Easier said than done.

I'm stuck in the same place I was almost four years ago--I need experience to get the job, but there's no place to willing to take a chance by giving me experience. I have the passion and drive to learn all I can to be the best at whatever the job may be. But in this economy, that sure as hell isn't enough to make the cut. I guess my only choice at the moment is to wait it out. I've got a a few decent freelance gigs right now. At least they pay the bills. And I've got those great little creative bursts that keep cropping up. Those get me through the days when work is scarce.

I'll keep chugging along, trying to find that one little opening that will get my foot in the door to the great wide world of journalism. I'll find it somewhere. Even if I have to go halfway across the world to find it, I will. Hey... that's an idea... maybe I should go halfway across the world...

No comments: