Monday, September 10, 2012

The Importance of Draft #2

Last week was interesting. Everyone living in this house had an off week, so schedules were all weird. On top of that, my ear apparently hates me and I was having to walk around half-dizzy for a few days. Luckily, that's cleared up now. Good thing too, because I'm scheduled to complete three drafts this week--one poem submission, two short story submissions. None of them are final drafts yet, but for me the second drafts are the most critical.

The second draft is where I move past the initial plot lines and start adding, cutting and rearranging. The main reason I do this is because when I look at it with fresh eyes, I can still see exactly what I want, but looking at it from an outsider's perspective, I can see where my message (if there is any) is not getting across well enough. Turns out, most of the short stories end up not having a purpose before the second draft, but when I reach the third draft, the characters usually know what they are supposed to do.

Distractions will have to wait for another day, because these drafts are important to me. Whether it takes a few late nights and a few more cups of coffee, I will get them done on time. That is if I don't start a completely new idea. I was intrigued by this story on releasing a novel in serial installments. I'm thinking this format may be on the horizon for me. Who knows... 

No comments: