Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The Rules of Freelancing #9: Always Follow Up

Whether you are a beginner diving into your first project proposal or a seasoned veteran with more work than you can handle, it is always good to follow up on leads, jobs and other fun stuff that comes with being a freelancer. It is also simply common etiquette. You want to know that your client is being taken care of, that you have everything they want noted while working on the project and that you will be compensated for your hard work. The rules to following up vary depending on what you are following up on, how long it has been since your last communication and how urgent the need is. No matter what the issue, the key is to always be professional and kind in all of your correspondence, even when things get frustrating.


Following up often gives me the feeling of being too pushy. I know how I feel when someone asks me every ten minutes if I'm done yet. However, I know the importance of following up with questions. Who wants to do something wrong just because they avoided asking a simple question? Remember that it may just save you a little time in the end.

No comments: