Monday, October 13, 2014

The First Listen: Mary Lambert - Heart on My Sleeve #HeartOnMySleeve #o2o


Music can serve many purposes for both the singer and the listener. One artist that provides a great balance of truth and entertainment in her music is Mary Lambert. This lady has certainly impressed me with her musical ability since she appeared on my radar through a friend on Facebook. I was extremely happy that the One2One Network provided me with a copy of the album Heart on My Sleeve (dropping tomorrow!) to review. 

While Mary Lambert may not be a well-known name in music at the moment, you may recognize her from the Macklemore and Ryan Lewis song “Same Love.” She’s out with her own album now, and it starts off with the fun, poppy “Secrets.” This song has everything a catchy tune needs to get into your head, have you learn the lyrics in just a few listens and also provides you with a great message. It is about hiding who we truly are until we no longer see ourselves in our daily lives. It is a celebration of our differences and does it in a light, upbeat way.


Much of the album has a variety of love songs. The key difference to Lambert’s songs is that she adds her own spin, making the raw emotion of the lyrics shine through what can sometimes look like just standard lyrics. Much of the music on the album is relatable and has a lot of strength within heartache. Vocally, Lambert is also a woman who has range. She can go from the fun pop song to the emotional journey and right into a low, haunting tune. 

The album also includes a cover of “Jessie’s Girl.” I have to say up front that I don’t like covers 99% of the time, no matter how well they are done. This one is no exception. I prefer the original version, though I will give Lambert much credit for making it her own, yet still retaining completely the sadness and jealousy that the original song embodies. 

Overall, this is a great album and something that I already love jamming to while in the car. If you want to learn more, check out these videos.You can also check her out on iTunes and Amazon.


**I participated in the Mary Lambert Heart On My Sleeve album review program as a member of One2One Network. I was provided a free album to review but all opinions are my own.  

No comments: