Monday, April 04, 2016

Customer Service Representative -- A Poem

Writing a poem a day for National Poetry Month is going... okay. Not great, not horrible. I've managed to write a poem for the last four days, which for any writer can be an accomplishment in itself. And because I don't want to hold these to my chest for the rest of my life, I've decided that my lovely readers will get one poem a week through the month of April.



This poem I wrote on Saturday. As you may be able to tell, I didn't have a good Friday afternoon:

Customer Service Representative


Terror strikes the heart—
But it's only anticipation of frustration

Redirection is the inevitable next step
You don't want to deal
The next representative will be hiding
They will conveniently be busy for the next fifteen to thirty minutes

I know all your tricks
I'm not going away without a fight
So play that funky muzak, please

And so it goes...

Your precious piece of royalty-free adult contemporary soft rock
It plays for three minutes and some change

One...

Two...

By round three, I'm unconsciously clicking my tongue
The ten second bongo solo at 2:08 has been permanently etched on my ear drums

Four...

Five...

A click—
Could it really be?
No, no. Not yet. Sweat it out some more
Because surely you are the next valuable customer in line

Hello? Hello? No, no.
I can hear you, I can purge you from all of your personal information now
Desperation builds trust in strangers

What is your call in reference to?
Charges of a ruined hour, a ruined day. A wasted life, if you can believe it.

A back and forth later and where are we now?
That telling oh...
An apology for not being able to perform magic
A transfer to someone who surely can pull a miracle out of a hat

Your call is very important to us

 - - - - - - - - - - 
As for other news in the life of this writer, I'm still working on getting two more chapters of In Another Life live this week. If you haven't stopped by yet, check it out. You just may like it. Once those are up, it's going to be straight back to a first draft I'm in the middle of. This one is slow going, but I'm trying to get it right the first time, so as long as it takes I'll stick with it.

My writing playlist has expanded to include The Beatles Anthology Highlights. Found out this dropped today and immediately spent my Amazon gift card on it (luckily I had one of those left). I know what you're thinking--aren't you a Beatles freak? Don't you already have these songs? Well, not exactly. My brother and I were always close, so when all the anthology CD sets came out, we bought one set and shared. Somehow he ended up with all the discs and I ended up with only a select number of MP3 files... hmm... Anyway, now that I have it on my Amazon player, I'll have it anywhere I go.

I was also lucky enough to get a truckload of Garnier Skin Active Clearly Brighter moisturizer samples to try out from Crowdtap, and as any good writer does, I wrote about it. You can get all the details over at Showered in Beauty.

If you're writing poetry this month, don't hesitate to share your links. I'd love to read it. :-)

1 comment:

K R Smith said...

Yes, your call is important to us. Just not important enough to hire another minimum wage person to help out...

We've all been there.