Wednesday, November 09, 2016

Quite a Long Day...

I'm not going to lie--this is a tense day. But don't all important elections have that gross hangover feeling? It doesn't matter who you voted for. I tried to stay out of publicly expressing my political opinions and I don't plan to continue talking politics publicly after this for two reasons:

1. To get the full picture of why someone supports a candidate, a proposition or a party the way they do, you should probably be looking them in the eye to discuss it. Social media is the worst place to do this because you can start a reasonable conversation that spirals into insults you'd never say to someone's face. But what's worse is that social media allows you to block and ignore different points of view. Like money, sex and religion, politics is personal. But all sides should be heard and respected for the fact that someone feels deeply about it.

However, if you decide to put your opinion into terms that only work to demean the other side just because you think you can, I do have the right to not acknowledge it. Put it in a respectful manner, and you're opinion will be respected. 

2. I am writer, so I may be able to state my opinions a bit more eloquently at times, but that doesn't mean I should take every opportunity to do so. Writing is a hard enough road to take without dismissing a large group of people just because we disagree on, well, pretty much everything when in comes to government players.

It's not about just being kind to people (though that's important). I have no issue admitting that not talking about politics is directly related to the idea that I don't want to offend a potential reader because that impacts my dismally small bottom line. So far what I write is for entertainment only and will be for the foreseeable future. I may someday release work that challenges these ideas, but if I do I'll understand the consequences.

Have I ever given readers an idea of how I think on political terms? Probably. I do occasionally like creative or entertaining posts with a political spin. I am a mass of statistics that pollsters will tell you comes to an obvious conclusion of how I think and how I feel about politics. And maybe they are correct. I think fairness is something to strive for on all levels. I believe everyone has the right to do what makes them happy, as long as it's not directly hurting anyone else. I believe we had a good thing going and now there's a sense of dread and chaos. But we all did what we thought was best for each of us. That's what we're supposed to do, even if we aren't happy with the outcome.

The only thing that's making this day redeemable for all of us are people that have made the point to tell us to continue loving and respecting each other no matter what. Because seriously, if I loved and respected you yesterday, it's going to be the same today.

And if that doesn't do it for you, go hug a puppy or something. That makes everyone feel better.

No comments: