Friday, April 25, 2008

I think that it's strange I get certain pictures in my head depending on what I'm reading or writing. Most fiction of course gives you the picture that is described. But sometimes when I'm reading, I think about writing. Here's the deal: when I think about writing poetry, I think of myself in a converted-warehouse type apartment in the heart of New York City.

When I think about writing screenplays, obviously I am in Los Angeles. I usually have a great house in Beverly Hills, not too big but nice, and an awesome office in a downtown high rise.

When I think about writing fiction or novels, I think about being on an east coast beach, hiding out from the world for a little while. I think I get this picture from reading too many Nicholas Sparks novels.

Most of the time, these pictures comfort me. They let me know that I am on the right path in my life, though sometimes it really doesn't seem like I am. Then again, there are some days (like today, for instance) when I want to really be in those places instead of stuck in the middle of nowhere really, struggling to make sense of it all.

It's the good weather that is doing this to me. Good weather makes me think of prettier places than Indiana. Good weather makes me want to have an adventure.

No comments: