Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Writers are writers

I realized today that I am a writer. Not that I didn't know this before, but this was one of those days where I tried to take time for myself and enjoy the fact that I am alive. Well that really didn't work. Instead of enjoying all the Jimmy Stewart movies on TCM, I raced back and forth from the living room to the office all day to see if I missed something on Twitter. Of course I didn't – at least nothing that could not wait until the end of Mr. Smith Goes To Washington.

Anyway, this all brought me to the conclusion that I am a writer. I cannot go a single day, let alone eight hours, without writing a single word. This is good when it comes to work because I obviously need the money. And it's true that most money isn't easy money – people just won't click on your ads everyday, and you shouldn't expect them to. But I'm getting off topic.

Knowing that I can't avoid writing also helps to sooth me. I worry that one day I'll just forget I like to write fiction and poetry because other writing is more important. And even though I got two more rejection letters for poetry today (I believe these should be the last ones for this cycle...) I am confident I'll continue. Now I have to get a new batch of work ready to be submitted. That's always a pain, but worth it if someone bothers to publish my work.

Ooh, and just to brag about myself (which I honestly don't like doing) I did receive a better rating on one of my jobs recently, opening up a lot more work for me. That's really going to help pay off all those ugly credit cards with their brand-spankin' new interest rates.

No comments: