Monday, August 12, 2013

One More Week in Limbo

I'm giving all of the leads I had one more week to see whether they are sustainable writing jobs or not. Hearing back at all from those in the decision seat would be good too. Then, I'm applying for a 'real job' (yes, I'm cringing at that phrase). I don't mind the idea of it anymore. I think it might help me to have a more consistent writing schedule. And hey, if they throw in an option for health insurance, I'll be living better than I have been since I graduated from college.  It could also provide more fodder for my writing ideas--as you all know, people are crazy.

Speaking of writing...

I really want to finish the first draft of my novel as quickly as possible, but when I sit in front of that flashing cursor, I somehow feel like I'm rushing it. So I open a second document and start an outline for a new novel. Then I open another one. Two new ideas for short stories. Once I finally get back to the novel, I write three sentences and call it a day. This week, the process is changing. Goals are being set. Writing time is being scheduled. My world is going to fall into place, even if I have to bend the pieces to make it fit.  :-)

2 comments:

K R Smith said...

If your first draft is a little rushed, that's OK. At least you'll have the framework down and can see how well it all works. And then edit, edit, edit...

And yes, you can write even while working a "real" job. I'm doing it - although I work for the government, so some folks will tell you that's not a real job either. It can be difficult to find time some days, but it won't stop you from writing altogether. Also, you won't have to take some of those lower-paying freelance jobs that use up more time than they're worth and can concentrate on those that you really want to do.

Good luck!

Terri said...

You are absolutely right -- the low-paying freelance jobs were the main reason I couldn't get anything done. After spending all day writing that stuff, I really didn't want to go anywhere near a computer.