Thursday, August 16, 2018

Good for One, Not So Much for Another

Getting outside of your head to make a decision is sometimes a difficult thing to do. In my case, I'm not sure what to think about a story I've written so that I can make a decision for what comes next.



I've talked about it before: it is the story that I sent off to The New Yorker earlier in the year. Although it got a rejection, I was happy to have tried. It's been sitting around doing nothing since April. I haven't been able to get motivated to send it someplace else, but my mind seems to be playing tricks on me. What I thought was a story that would be good for a prestigious publication now seems like it's not really good enough for any other publication. I'm not questioning whether it's the right fit for a particular publication--there are plenty of good ones out there that I think would at least consider it. It's just that I'm suddenly struck with questioning myself about the quality of it. Has this ever happened to you? If I thought it was good for one, why am I questioning the quality when it comes to another?

I know that I'm going to send it out again anyway. Today, and to a publication that does offer payment if accepted. I'm not sure why this submission feels different, but it does. I hate when people tell me this, but... I'll just have to get over it.

1 comment:

K R Smith said...

You ask, "Has this ever happened to you?"

Only on every piece I've ever written.

More important than getting over it is sending it out. And other pieces, too. Once you get accepted somewhere, anywhere, all the bad feelings go away. Well, until the next reject letter...

Good luck!