Tuesday, November 10, 2015

#NaNoWriMo 2015: DAYS 9 & 10

DAY 9:

Mondays are the best! No, seriously. When it comes to writing, they really are. I try to avoid television as much as I can, but there are some great shows this year, so Monday is the only day of the week that no good shows are on (no offense to all the Monday shows I never watch!).

The set goal for Day 9 is 15k. I nearly made it that far, but I couldn't keep my eyes open to get through the last 500 words. That's just a quick thing to take care of in the morning. Which I will do because the characters are itching for some big plot twists.

DAY 10:

There are two schools of thought with writing: some say write what you know, and others say write about what you want to know. Either way, there is the potential to come up with something amazing. I'm trying to mix both into this book. I'm using a specific setting (small town Midwest) as a launching pad for issues I'm interested in. Broadly (because I don't want to spoil any surprises--and there are a lot of them) the issues range from corruption and lack of opportunity to geographic isolation and the consequences of aging. Heavy stuff.

During the first draft I don't know as much as I would like about these issues, but my feelings about them all are very apparent. I didn't know that some of these things pissed me off as much as they do. However, my personal feelings about all of these issues does show me one thing: big city or small town, we all deal with the same issues, even if they don't always come in the same package.

Next stop: 20k. 

No comments: